Home Departments



This office can answer questions and provide information about feedlot rules and permitting. We provide assistance in filling out feedlot permits and assist feedlot operators through the permitting process. This office currently does have a limited authority to issue some feedlot permits in-house when appropriate. Inspections are conducted by this office to verify complaints against feedlots to determine if there is a violation of State Rules.

How can a feedlot affect groundwater used for drinking?

Improper storage or application of manure may 1) increase the level of nitrate nitrogen or 2) release disease organisms into drinking water supplies. Both nitrate and disease organisms are contaminants regulated under the federal Safe Drinking Water Act.

Has anyone ever become sick by drinking groundwater that has been contaminated by animal manure?

Yes. The most recent event happened in New York State where two people died and hundreds became ill when a well at a fairgrounds was contaminated by a nearby animal yard.

How do I know where vulnerable public water supply wells are located?

The Minnesota Department of Health has prepared maps showing the locations of vulnerable community water supply wells. Copies of these maps are available through your county feedlot officer and the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency.

What happens if I want to construct or expand a feedlot in the wellhead protection area of a vulnerable public water supply well?

If the feedlot has 500 or more animal units, you will have to prepare an Environmental Assessment Worksheet, and performance standards may be added to the feedlot permit. If the feedlot has fewer than 500 animal units, performance standards may be added to your permit.

Who can help me with my feedlot application?

Contact your county feedlot officer or the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency. Let them know where the feedlot is located and the fields where you plan to apply manure. This information will be compared to the locations of vulnerable public water supply wells and wellhead protection areas. The Minnesota Department of Health will also assist counties and the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency with determining whether a vulnerable community water supply well may be impacted.


Free Joomla template design by Joomlage.com