Home Departments Social Services

Social Services

county seal

John Dahlstrom

Wabasha County Social Services Director:

John Dahlstrom
411 Hiawatha Dr E
Wabasha MN 55981
Phone: (651)-565-3351
Fax: (651)-565-3084
E-mail: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it



The Wabasha County Department of Social Services, in partnership with the federal government, state Department of Human Services, County and other public, private, and community agencies throughout Minnesota, is an agency directed by law to assist those citizens whose personal or family resources are not adequate to meet their basic human needs. The Department is committed to helping them attain the maximum degree of self-sufficiency within their individual capabilities. To these ends, the Department will promote the dignity, safety, and rights of the individual, and will assure public accountability and trust through responsible use of available resources.




To get started, visit Minnesota Human Services Online to use an online pre-screening tool to find out if you might qualify for benefits and to register for a user ID and password. This is optional.

To apply for cash, emergency or the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP Food) programs, you will need to fill out a Combined Application Form. You can access a packet for applying for cash and/or SNAP Food Support benefits by clicking here.

You may also receive an application form by mail, by fax, by email or picking one up in our office. You may also apply online at ApplyMN. IT IS IMPORTANT TO REMEMBER THAT THE DAY THAT WE GET THE PAGE I OF THE APPLICATION FORM WITH A NAME, ADDRESS AND SIGNATURE IS THE DATE YOUR BENEFITS MAY BEGIN, IF ELIGILBE. You can return your Page I either by mail, by fax, by e-mail, in-person or by using our drop box located at the front of our office building. We will need the remaining pages of your application to complete the application process either prior to or at the time of your interview.

To apply for Health Care benefits, please visit www.MNSure.org to start the application process electronically. Paper applications are available by contacting our office.

For more information all public assistance programs, as well as our contact information, please select one of the links at the bottom of this page.

For more information on disability benefits, please visit Disability Benefits 101 Minnesota

For more information on housing benefits, please visit Housing Benefits 101 Minnesota


Some walk-in interviews for public assistance are available. Call our office for more details.

Some families with children applying or recertifying for the Minnesota Family Investment (MFIP) program, may have their interview conducted via Skype or at a location mutually agreed upon. To download the Skype program, visit www.skype.comskype



South Country is a health plan that is owned by Wabasha County, in a partnership with other counties, and provides access to quality health care for Minnesota Health Care enrollees in our county. South Country provides health care coverage with the following programs:

• AbilityCare (HMO SNP)

• SeniorCare Complete (HMO SNP)

• Minnesota Senior Care Plus (MSC+)

• Medical Assistance (PMAP)

• MinnesotaCare

• SingleCare (SNBC)

• SharedCare (SBNC)

Wabasha County also provides Care Coordination for our members. The Community Care Connector collaborates with South Country and local county staff to help members get the services and support they need. To contact your Community Care Connector, call Jodi Johnson at 651-565-5200.

For more information about South Country and its programs, please visit http://www.mnscha.org/ or call Member Services toll free at 1-866-567-7242 or 711 (for hearing impaired).

South Country Health Alliance is a Coordinated Care plan with a Medicare contract and a contract with the Minnesota Medicaid program



2012-13 Vulnerable Children Adults Act Service Plan

2020-2021 MFIP Biennial Service Agreement Form

Limited English Proficiency Plan 2012

Adult Mental Health Regional Meeting

Child Support

Social Services Programs

Medical Programs

Financial Assistance Programs and Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) snap logo


In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, religious creed, disability, age, political beliefs, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA.

Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audio tape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.

To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the www.ocio.usda.gov/sites/default/files/docs/2012/Complain_combined_6_8_12.pdf  (AD-3027) found online at: www.ascr.usda.gov/filing-program-discrimination-complaint-usda-customer, and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by:

(1) Mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights 1400 Independence Avenue SW

Washington, D.C. 20250-9410;

(2) Fax: (202) 690-7442; or

(3) Email: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

This institution is an equal opportunity provider.


Free Joomla template design by Joomlage.com