Home Departments Social Services

Financial Assistance Programs

Income Maintenance Unit Supervisor

Lisa McNally
Toll Free: (888) 315-8815. Collect calls accepted.
E-mail: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

This e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it


If you need to contact us about your case, have a question about our programs, or wish to apply, please contact us as noted below:

Call us at (651) 565-8208.

For toll free calls: 1.888.315.8815


Or you can email us at  This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it



In partnership with the Minnesota Department of Human Services, the Wabasha County Income Maintenance Unit works to help people with low incomes transition to economic stability.  Economic Stability includes cash assistance programs, food support, child care assistance, child support services, refugee services, employment services and health care programs.


Minnesota Family Investment Program (MFIP) is Minnesota's welfare reform program for low-income families with children.  It includes both cash and food assistance.  The purpose of MFIP is to help families transition to economic stability.  MFIP parents are expected to work and are supported in working.  Most families can get cash assistance for only 60 months.  In July 2004, Minnesota started a Diversionary Work Program (DWP).  This is a short-term, intensive work program to help families move immediately to work rather than go on welfare.  For more information about MFIP and DWP.


Emergency Assistance (EA) and Emergency General (EGA)

EA and EGA are short-term help for people who need money for crisis such as fire, utility shut off, eviction, illness, theft, loss of job, or other major problems. EA is for those who have children in the home under the age 21. EGA is for those who cannot get MFIP or EA.


General Assistance (GA)

GA is a monthly cash payment which helps with money for food, housing, and other basic needs. It is for people who cannot work, have little or no income and are not able to get help from other state and federal programs.  For more information about GA.


Minnesota Supplemental Aid (MSA)

MSA is a monthly cash payment which helps people whose disability, retirement, or other income is not enough. People must be 65 or older, or disabled and age 18 or older, or blind.  For more information about MSA.


Refugee Cash Assistance (RCA)

RCA is a monthly cash payment for certain refugees who have been in the U.S. eight months or less.  For more information about Refugee Assistance.

Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program or SNAP (formerly known as Food Support)

The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) is an electronic benefit program that can be used like money to buy food to supplement your nutritional needs. It is for single people and families with or without children who meet the income requirements. You may also qualify for SNAP right away if you meet any one of the criteria below. You should call us right away for an interview if any one of the following statements are true:

  • You have less than $150 in monthly income and less than $100 in liquid assets.
  • You are a destitute migrant or seasonal worker, and you have $100 or less in liquid assrets.
  • Your household income and liquid assets are less than your actual monthly housing and utility costs.

If you believe you qualify, and would like either an in-office or telephone interview, or an interview at a convenient location, please call our Customer Service number at: 651.565.8208 or email us at This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it . You can also reach us toll free at 1.888.315.8815. Collect calls accepted.

 For more information about Supplemental Nutrition Food Support Program (SNAP)

Click here to find a local emergency food shelf in your area


Child Care Assistance Program

In partnership with the Department of Human Services, Wabasha County administers the federal and state Child Care Assistance Program (CCAP) that provides a subsidy for child care for working parents who are income-eligible.


Basic Sliding Fee (BSF) Child Care

  • For work hours for families whose income is under 175% of the Federal Poverty level
  • Must be working a minimum of 20 hours per week


Minnesota Family Investment Program (MFIP) Child Care
  • For approved activities as authorized by family's MFIP Case Manager
  • For work hours for up to 12 months after family has closed MFIP due to excess income


Find out more about Minnesota's Child Care Assistance Program

       Wabasha County Child Care Plan 2018 - 2019

Wabasha County CCAP Plan Amendment 2016 - 2017

Wabasha County Child Care Plan 2016 - 2017




In accordance with Federal Law and U.S. Department of Agriculture policy, this institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, political beliefs or disability.  To file a complaint of discrimination, write USDA, Director, Office of Civil Rights, 1400 Independence Avenue SW, Washington, D.C. 20250-9410 or call (800) 795-3272 (voice) or (202) 720-6382 (TTY).  USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer.


Free Joomla template design by Joomlage.com