Cash Assistance

Please click on the name of any program below to learn more about that program and to see which program may be the best fit for you.

Adult, People with Disabilities & Senior Programs

General Assistance (GA)
General Assistance (GA) is a monthly cash payment which helps with money for food, housing, and other basic needs. It is for people who cannot work, have little or no income and are not able to get help from other state and federal programs.  The General Assistance (GA) program helps people without children pay for basic needs. It provides money to people who can't work enough to support themselves, and whose income and resources are very low.  People who get GA are also eligible for help with medical and food costs through Medical Assistance (MA) and the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP).   GA can also help people who are in some licensed facilities with a small payment to help them pay for items which are not otherwise provided by the facility.   For more information about the GA program, click here.

Minnesota Supplemental Aid (MSA)
Minnesota Supplemental Aid provides cash assistance to help adults who get Supplemental Security Income (SSI) pay for their basic needs. Some people who are blind, have a disability or are older than 65 but do not get SSI because their other income is too high may also be eligible for MSA if they meet the income limit.  People who get MSA are also eligible for help with medical, food and housing costs through Medical Assistance (MA), the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) and MSA Housing Assistance programs.  For more information about the MSA program, click here.

Minnesota Supplement Aid Housing Assistance Program
Minnesota Supplemental Aid (MSA) Housing Assistance helps people with disabilities who pay more than 40 percent of their income toward housing costs so that they have a choice about where they live.  For more about the MSA Housing Assistance program, click here.

Housing Support (formerly known as Group Residential Housing)
The Housing Support program pays for room and board for seniors and adults with disabilities who have low income. The program aims to reduce and prevent people from living in institutions or becoming homeless.  Over 20,000 Minnesotans receive Housing Support assistance each month to help pay for rent and food.   For more information about the Housing Support program, click here.

Children & Family Programs

Diversionary Work Program
In July 2004, Minnesota started a Diversionary Work Program (DWP).  This is a short-term, intensive work program to help families move immediately to work rather than go on public assistance programs.  The DWP program is a four-month program that helps Minnesota parents find employment. The goal is to help parents quickly find work so that they do not need to go on the Minnesota Family Investment Program (MFIP). When families first apply for cash assistance, most will be enrolled in this program.  For more information about the DWP program, click here.

Minnesota Family Investment Program (MFIP)
The Minnesota Family Investment Program (MFIP) helps families with children meet their basic needs, while helping parents move to financial stability through work.   Parents are expected to work, and are supported in working with both cash and/or food assistance, depending on the earnings from their employment.   Most families have a lifetime limit of 60 months on MFIP.  When families first apply for cash assistance, they usually start in the Diversionary Work Program (DWP). It is a four-month program that helps parents go to work right away rather than enroll in MFIP.  The MFIP program includes both cash and food assistance.    For more information about the MFIP program, click here. 

Refugee Programs (including Refugee Cash Assistance)
People with refugee status in the United States have fled their home countries because they experienced, or have a well-founded fear of, persecution due to their race, religion, nationality, political opinions or membership in a social group. The U.S. Department of State oversees the Refugee Admissions Program, and welcomes refugees of special humanitarian concern into the country to resettle through various resettlement agencies. Helping refugees successfully resettle and achieve self-sufficiency quickly in Minnesota we coordinate services with federal, state and local agencies.  For more information about Refugee Assistance, click here.